St. Croix Crossing - Stillwater / Sept. 6th @ 08:00 am

More
03 Sep 2017 08:25 #2636 by Chuck Ryan
Chuck Ryan created the topic: St. Croix Crossing - Stillwater / Sept. 6th @ 08:00 am
Date: Wednesday, 09-06-17 @ 8am

Parking Location: I want to clarify what is written in the narrative posted under the TCBC ride calendar. The location is still the same, but I didn't make it clear about the 24 hour parking lot.

Park in the north public parking lot in the 400 block of Mulberry Street East in Stillwater. This north lot is just before the circle drive on Mulberry St E at Lowell Park Mulberry Point. The paved trail between this lot is about two blocks from the actual Brown’s Creek Trailhead. This is a 24 hour parking lot (if you have a permit you can park over night, but you can park during the day all day long without a permit) while the other lots nearby have 3 and 4 hour limits.

This will be the second time I’ve done this ride. I liked the 81 mile route so I kept it and eliminated the shorter 72 mile route. The additional 9 miles was worth it, because half of that was mostly downhill, has a great view and something new. :) Since then I’ve also added some miles to the route and I now have a 108 mile route that I’ll offer another day, but for today I’m only holding the very scenic 81 mile route. So come out and ride some of the scenic roads on the Minnesota side before crossing over the St. Croix River at Osceola to continue the ride on some of the scenic roads in Wisconsin. Toward the end of the ride we’ll experience going over the new bridge over the St. Croix River, the St. Croix Crossing Bridge…then afterwards grab a slice of pizza. It’s a good day for a bike ride… and a slice of pizza!

Park in the north public parking lot in the 400 block of Mulberry Street East in Stillwater. This north lot is just before the circle drive on Mulberry St E at Lowell Park Mulberry Point. The paved trail between this lot is about two blocks from the actual Brown’s Creek Trailhead. This is a 24 hour parking lot (if you have a permit you can park over night, but you can park during the day all day long without a permit) while the other lots nearby have 3 and 4 hour limits.

Pubic restrooms and water are a block away.

The ride is posted as an A/B, but all self sufficient riders are welcome.

The ride briefing is at 7:55 am and the ride leaves promptly at 8 am.

The beginning of the ride will take us north on the Minnesota side through Marine on St. Croix and Scandia. After heading further north out of Scandia we’ll change course and head east to Osceola in Wisconsin. There are a couple options in town to stop, but if you brought something to eat we could just stop at the Mill Pond Park to use the restrooms and get water. Other options are to to stop at the BP Gas Station or The Watershed Cafe.

Our route will head to the second stop/break which is at the Horse Creek Store at mile 45.8. They have a small deli where you can have a sandwich made to order. On the last ride I got a turkey sandwich on wheat bread.

After leaving the Horse Creek Store we’ll continue south on more scenic Wisconsin roads down to the Bass Lake Cheese Factory where we can get water and take a short break at one of their benches or picnic tables. There is the option to stop in Somerset at the Holiday Gas about 4 miles earlier, but its much more scenic sitting outside at the Cheese Factory than in the parking lot of a gas station.

After the break at the Bass Lake Cheese Factory the excitement continues to grow… the route heads west where we’ll ride over the new St. Croix Crossing Bridge where we can stop and take a couple pictures or just look around at the views before riding back to Stillwater.

Once we are done with the ride I’ll probably walk over to Victoriano’s NY Style Pizza and get a slice…feel free to join me.

81 mile: ridewithgps.com/routes/24311607

IMPORTANT**** I will only have one extra copy of the map and cue sheet for the 81 mile route. Please download the GPS file and/or print out a map and cue sheet of the route of your choosing. Contact me at least the day before the ride if you need me to print out a map and cue sheet for you.****

Hwy. 243 Bridge Info: ***I’m not sure when I will lead this ride again, but the the main reason is that Hwy. 243 Bridge over the St,. Croix River to Osceola, WI will be closed to all traffic for repairs from Sept. 12 - Sept. 28, 2017. So today might be a good day to ride this very scenic route :) ****

Please contact me if you have any questions about the ride.

Chuck Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.745 seconds