Lead time for scheduling a ride

More
15 Apr 2018 13:32 #2997 by Dino Balafas
Lead time for scheduling a ride was created by Dino Balafas
I would like to expand upon the conversation at our annual meeting regarding the lead time for scheduling a ride. Since there wasn't a great deal of disclosure to why the 84 hours lead time remains in place given the new changes, I admit that I am speculating for the exact reasons. I surmise that the issue centers around being fair to riders by providing as much lead time prior to a ride, and that a shorten time line for ride postings may be exploited in some way toward a group of individual riders. Although this could occur in theory, I think it is taking a perspective from an individuals point of view and not a more holistic view of the entire club. I believe having as many scheduled rides as possible helps the club, even with less lead time for some. More variety, more locations, is a good thing for the club and its member, right?

Weather and personal schedules are significant factors in making a decision whether to lead a ride, and given our stance on ride cancellation, a leader will error on the side of not posting a ride if either are in doubt. Shortening the lead time will likely increase the number of rides by allowing more flexibility to the leaders in making a decision to lead a ride. Most of the regular rides are posted long in advance of the time limit, so I cant fathom that there will be any changes to these rides. What it will do is provide more options for those riders who decide to check the calendar a day or two before the day they wish to jump on their bike because the weather looks great or the family reunion was postponed. I only see upside in shortening the lead time. Moreover, if I am completely wrong and it becomes an issue, the club can always go back to the old lead time policy. In my view, there is virtually no risk, and potentially significant gains. I really don't understand why this is even an issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steven Sikkila

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2018 13:04 #3055 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Lead time for scheduling a ride
I suspect that's part of the reason that the lead time is shortened for the winter months. It's still the shorter amount, until May 1st.

Perhaps we could ask (baby steps!) to have the shorter time period extended until the end of May? That would also let us see how well it works now that riding weather is finally available (!) most days.

I think, personally, that this post would have more comments if you had posted in the Ride Leaders section of the forum. Some people only subscribe to those messages, and not to the entire forum.

Or, post a short message there asking people to read and respond here, by giving the link to this discussion?

More
21 Apr 2018 13:25 #3057 by Dino Balafas
Replied by Dino Balafas on topic Lead time for scheduling a ride
Rookie mistake on my part. I agree, it would have been better served in the Ride Leader area. I support the End of May idea as well. This week there are ample rides posted well before the 48 hour limit. I don’t see this changing ... I only see more options in terms of rides m.

More
21 Apr 2018 13:25 #3058 by Dino Balafas
Replied by Dino Balafas on topic Lead time for scheduling a ride
Rookie mistake on my part. I agree, it would have been better served in the Ride Leader area. I support the End of May idea as well. This week there are ample rides posted well before the 48 hour limit. I don’t see this changing ... I only see more options in terms of rides m.

More
21 Apr 2018 15:28 #3059 by Stephan Hodges
Replied by Stephan Hodges on topic Lead time for scheduling a ride
I encourage you to post something in the leaders forum area anyway. Couldn't hurt. They see enough of my postings. Most of them haven't gotten any response from the web people, although I'm sure they've read them. So, I don't know if they're keeping a list of requests or how things are being organized.

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds