file Crosby Farm Park and Hidden Falls Bike Trails.

More
27 Oct 2019 14:31 #4489 by Johnny Pugh
On the Sonny’s ride yesterday, Jeff asked me if I knew if the river sand had been cleared off the trails in Crosby Farm Park. I didn’t really know, but I suspected the trail next to the river would still be under the Mississippi River. Today I decided to do a little exploring on the Crosby Farm Park and Hidden Falls trails. I entered the trail system from the East end near 35E. The water level on Crosby Lake is about an inch higher than the trail level in a couple of places! I could get through there ok by riding slow to keep the water splash down. Further up that trail was where the Mississippi deposited a thick layer of sand. This was plowed away leaving banks of sand 2-3 feet high on either side of the trail. Where the MRT trail splits away and goes next to the Mississippi River, the sand covering the trail is very thick. Right now, it has been converted into a single-track mountain bike trail! A short distance later, what was the paved trail disappeared under the Mississippi River. The single-track trail continued next to the river for a couple hundred yards, then veered off into the woods to finally rejoin the paved trail through the center of the park. The trail through the center of the park is rideable, but I would choose a cyclocross or gravel bike.
I tried to ride the trail from Watergate Marina to Hidden Falls, but it only went for about ¼ mile before it was under water. I turned around and rode to the Highway 5 bridge and you could see that, underneath the bridge, the river was covering the trail.
It’s my guess that these trails won’t be rideable until this winter, when the river level drops and the ponds that are left behind are frozen.

Johnny Pugh
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Kovar, Linda, Scott G Larson, Jeff Johnson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Oct 2019 15:10 #4502 by Jeff Johnson
Replied by Jeff Johnson on topic Crosby Farm Park and Hidden Falls Bike Trails.
Nice report Johnny! If you can’t get through, nobody can!
Jeff

Jeff Johnson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds