Commuting Help

More
30 May 2018 15:44 #3246 by Tom Lenzmeier
Commuting Help was created by Tom Lenzmeier
Attention commuters! I could use some advice. I want to ride from my home in Apple Valley to St. Louis Park; just off of Cedar Lake Road and west of Hwy 100. In a car, it would be a 21-mile drive. Since it's relatively flat, I figure I can get to work in just over an hour. I can easily get to Fort Snelling and across the river, but I've never ventured onto the Hiawatha LRT Trail (I don't even know if it's paved). I figured that if I could get to the Midtown Greenway, that would get me far enough west to get on the North Cedar Lake Trail. My final destination would be 6701 W. 23rd Street. I don't mind city streets, but I figure there's going to be tons of stop signs/lights.

Tom Lenzmeier

Tom Lenzmeier

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2018 21:10 #3248 by Dan Miller
Replied by Dan Miller on topic Commuting Help
Tom, The Hiawatha Trail is paved but its a sidewalk construction with a lot of joints and you are sandwiched between the LRT and Hiawatha traffic. There are some busy intersections with commuter traffic and you may get stopped by the LRT. If you are trying to get to the Midtown, I would recommend using Minnehaha Avenue. Its good pavement, bike lanes and moves along pretty efficiently for a bike between Minnehaha Park and Lake Street. You can connect to the Midtown north a few blocks of Lake. Take a look at it on RidewithGPS. Another thought would be to use the Sonny's route going west on 54th and around the lakes. I think this would be slower and both routes will be close in miles. Good luck.

More
31 May 2018 08:33 #3250 by Tom Lenzmeier
Replied by Tom Lenzmeier on topic Commuting Help
Dan, thanks for the input! From Apple Valley, I came up with the following: Johnny Cake to Diffley, to Black Hawk, to 13/Sibley Memorial Highway, across the Mendota Bridge, to Minnehaha Parkway, to Minnehaha Avenue, to Midtown Greenway, to Cedar Lake Parkway, and then to North Cedar Lake Regional Trail. That will get me to Louisiana Avenue and then to Cedar Lake Road. Total distance is 27 miles. Given my current rate of speed, it will take me just under 90 minutes. Considering I spend an hour in the car one-way, the extra 30 minutes is worth it!

Tom Lenzmeier

More
31 May 2018 14:21 #3251 by George Hagemann
Replied by George Hagemann on topic Commuting Help
Tom, your route sounds good but you will not be able to use Louisiana to get off the trail, there is no connection there. You could go a little farther west, turn left at the first trail exit and loop back to Louisiana to go over the trail/rail. Or, there is a pedestrian bridge before you get to 100 that would take you over the trail/rail to Cedar Lake Road and then west to your destination. In 2019 there will be a new pedestrian bridge constructed that will connect the trail and Nelson Park on the south going over the trail/rails to very near your destination.

George Hagemann

More
01 Jun 2018 08:17 - 01 Jun 2018 08:24 #3256 by Tom Lenzmeier
Replied by Tom Lenzmeier on topic Commuting Help
Thank you all for your feedback and assistance! This is what makes our club great!

Here's the final route: ridewithgps.com/routes/27663916

Tom

Tom Lenzmeier
Last edit: 01 Jun 2018 08:24 by Tom Lenzmeier.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds