file Crystal Clubhouse Creek Ride & Picnic - Reminder and update

More
25 Jul 2018 18:15 #3454 by Mark Thornsjo
Reminder that this event is coming up on August 5th. Two rides mainly on regional and local paved trails; see the ride calendar for details. More info below:

Both the B and B/C rides are now scheduled so be sure to check them out on the calendar (same description, just different distances and leaders). Both start at 11:00 AM on the 5th. The short route is set and I’ll post the Ride With GPS link as soon as I get the cue sheet prepared; it’s 37 miles, to be led by Rick Bednarczyk. I have to re-ride the 50-mile long route (for about the 5th time, dealing with route options and unexpected road construction) so its RWGPS link won’t be up until next week sometime. Both routes I estimate will return their respective riders at about the same time, by about 3:30 PM.

Après-ride picnic: If you plan to stay for the picnic afterward, please contact me by next Wednesday to coordinate food. FYI, Dave Levitt is bringing pulled pork but otherwise the menu is wide open. I’ll put a food sign-up sheet together as folks tell me what they plan to bring so we don’t get too redundant. BYOB, for sure.

With my mom as hostess will help with minding the food and greeting non-riders who arrive while we riders are en route. Yard games will be set up if the weather’s dry (NOTE: the picnic is on regardless of weather and if the ride gets rained out the picnic will start at 3:00 PM.) Folks who aren’t biking are very welcome to come any time from the ride start on. I believe at least a couple of the recently sidelined folks who can’t yet ride will be attending, and Barb Miner is bringing a grandchild so it’s an open house, basically, from 11 on. Red Rider told me Johnny has to work that day but may ride his bike over after he gets off work.

Any questions, please let me know (651-747-7712 or email me at mthornsjo@comcast.net). It would be nice to get a sense of numbers so if you are thinking of coming, please let me know.

Hope to see you on the 5th – it’ll be a great recovery ride for those who will have done the Tour de Tonka the day before, eh!

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Beadles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2018 15:19 #3469 by Mark Thornsjo
For those who will be riding the shorter (37 mile) route, here's the RWGPS link:

ridewithgps.com/routes/28210958

As noted in the calendar posting, this is a stay-together ride so the map/cue sheet (hard copies will be available at the start) are fyi and for reference if for some reason folks get separated.

More
01 Aug 2018 17:47 #3475 by Mark Thornsjo
Latest update:

The 49-mile ride's RWGPS link is now posted on the calendar: ridewithgps.com/routes/28212587

The picnic is indeed at my house after the ride. (One person thought it's at a park so wasn't going to ride because of his food item needing to be tended; no worries as my mom will be here to see us off and mind the food, and visit with the non-riders who arrive while the riders are away.) You are welcome to use the 3/4 bath in the basement to clean up and change; however, please bring your own towel & toiletries.

The weather seems to be creeping in the wrong direction - currently 40% precipitation chance. The contingency plan is to simply move straight into picnic mode if it does rain, which will spoil the outdoor fun but we'll still enjoy the day. If I have to cancel the ride part (if it comes to that I'll cancel by 9 AM), we'll start the picnic at 3 PM, though folks are certainly welcome to before then. Hey, TdF reruns will be on the big screen TV up in the home theater...plus indoor games so plenty to do along with eating and visiting. Again, BYOB though I'll have some extra NA beverages and Marc Hirschmann's contributing wine.

Any questions, call or text me at 651-747-7712. As of now there are 21 confirmed for the picnic, 12 for the ride.

Mark

More
04 Aug 2018 12:33 #3488 by Mark Thornsjo
Final update:

The weather continues to look dicey but the show will go on per the contingency of picnic-only beginning at 3 PM if I end up having to cancel the ride portion of the day; I’ll post a notice one way or the other on the forum by 9 AM.

We have 28 picnickers and 17 riders confirmed so far – looking fun from the people perspective!

If you have a folding camp chair, please bring it. Also, please bring your own serving utensils for your dish. I’ll try not to steal them like I accidentally did to Fran after last winter’s open house!

Those riding will be welcome to use my facilities to clean up and change. Please bring your own towel and toiletries.

Questions or whatever, call or text my cell phone: 651-747-7712.

Fingers crossed for reasonable dryness…!

Mark

More
05 Aug 2018 09:00 #3493 by Mark Thornsjo
RIDE IS ON! Hope the weather doesn't disappoint...

More
15 Aug 2018 14:16 - 15 Aug 2018 14:41 #3516 by Mark Thornsjo
Just a little follow-up note thanking all the 41 riders and 30+ picnickers who attended the even on August 5th. It went so well! I plan to put it on again, maybe yet this fall. Cheers! Mark

photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNLhoU2MM8I...NkxSUjhHcktzR0gydjRB
Last edit: 15 Aug 2018 14:41 by Mark Thornsjo. Reason: Added a photo link
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnny Pugh, Stephan Hodges

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds